By Lissa Coffey
When you come to visit Tulsi Spa you’ll see quite an offering of wonderful treatments to choose from. Some of the names may not be familiar to you, so let’s run down what these treatments are, and what their benefits are to you.
- Abhyanga can be done as a massage or a self-massage. The oil, infused with herbs especially chosen to help balance your dosha, penetrates the skin, relaxes the mind and body, and helps to stimulate circulation.
- Garshana is a dry massage. Silk gloves are used to brush the skin and enhance circulation. This also cleans the skin so that oil and herbs can more deeply penetrate the skin. Tulsi Spa offers Garshana gloves in our boutique so that you can do this massage yourself at home as well.
- Shirodhara is an amazing treatment where warm herbalized oil is slowly and gently poured over the forehead. While this happens, you are lulled into a very deep state of profound relaxation, allowing brain waves to synchronize body, mind, and spirit.
- Swedana is like an amazing steam bath. A tent is used so the head is kept cool while the body is heated to remove toxins that have built up in the body, mind, and emotions deep within the cells. It can be used in combination with Abhyanga, or with Udvartana.
- Udvartana is a massage that uses an herbal powder to help the lymphatic system drain. This is an exfoliating treatment that also beautifully conditions the skin. Udvartana is really great for reducing the appearance of cellulite. It is a stimulating massage, ideal for Kapha types.
- Vishesh is a deep muscular massage. It helps open up the channel of communication to the deep tissues and improve circulation to the muscles.